I don’t know if it is just me, but I constantly crave California Pizza Kitchen’s BBQ Chicken pizza. Not that I particularly love CPK or anything- I think it is pretty mediocre but I would definitely pick CPK over a lot of other American chain restaurants. With that being said, I decided to try to recreate the BBQ chicken pizza in the form of flat bread!
What you need:
Pre made pizza dough
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 of a red onion, sliced
3 cups of BBQ sauce, I used Sweet Baby Rays Original
1 1/2 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cup Smoked Gouda, shredded
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Boil your chicken breasts! Place the chicken breasts in a pot and cover with either water or chicken stock and boil for about 40 minutes or until fully cooked (not pink) on the inside.
2. While the chicken is boiling, spray your cooking sheet with olive oil, and flatten your pizza dough on the dough. Also thinly slice your onion and chop your cilatro.
3. When the chicken has cooked, place in a bowl and let cool off. When cooled, shred chicken with your hands or forks. Cover with BBQ sauce and set aside.
4. Cover your dough with the two types of shredded cheese, then the BBQ chicken, then the onions.
5. Bake at 425 degrees F for about 20 to 25 minute or so until the dough is fully cooked and getting golden brown.
6. After the flat bread has cooked fully, take it out of the oven, let it rest and sprinkle with cilantro. Slice into square pieces and serve!